Wednesday, November 17, 2010

KEYS AGAIN

KEYS AGAIN!

Trailered the MARC VI back down to the Keys last Monday (Nov. 8), this time to
Islamorada, to fish/shoot an episode with friend Greg Poland. Production crew included
Kevin Tierney, Carl Grassi, and Mr. Miller. We launched my boat and the camera boat
at a private ramp by Poland’s home, and docked them at World Wide Sportsman. We
stayed at Cheeca Lodge, and even got in a dinner at Ziggy’s and Mad Dog’s!

Fishing was good, but not fast. We had to really work at it, but we scored mutton
snapper, grouper, and Cero mackerel. Looking to revisit a kind of fishing I thoroughly
enjoyed in the Keys during my early 20s, we spent one afternoon catching ocean-run
barracuda on tube lures and 8-pound class spin tackle! What a blast! I was always
impressed by the fight a barracuda gives when it is matched on ultra-light tackle, and
these fish – up to 15-pounds – were no exception.

We spent two days on the water, and had to pull the boat after our second day, and
trailer it back to Broward County. I had to be at Ft. Lauderdale’s Pier 66 at 5:00 a.m. the
following morning, for a catalogue/brochure shoot for Mako Marine. I dropped my boat
off at its home in Coral Springs (Garnett Storage) at 8:30 that evening, and then went
home for a well deserved shower, quick dinner and few hours of sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment