Sunday, October 24, 2010

In The News



Martin Armstrong, Correspondent

Published: 07:49 p.m., Saturday, October 23, 2010


George Poveromo, host of George Poveromo's World of Saltwater Fishing, spent a few days last week fishing Long Island Sound for an upcoming show.


I got this message from him on Wednesday. "Hey Martin! LIS was on fire today out of New Haven! The weather was perfect. Could not have asked for anything nicer. This was the first time I had ever fished for blackfish, and scored my first ones today. What an impressive fish! They pull like mad. I was amazed at the runs they can muster when first hooked. We caught them on a reef a couple miles out of the Branford River. Tom Migdalski caught the biggest blackfish, one of around seven or eight pounds. All on crabs. When the tide got going, we went jigging on the same reef for bluefish. They were around in good numbers, mostly small. But Tom nailed one around 16 pounds. We got them on diamond jigs and Williamson Flutter Jigs."

Then on Thursday George sent me this missive. "Superb day today for us (me and Tom Migdalski), as we limited out on blackfish in one hour out of New Haven, with the biggest blackfish weighing in at 11 pounds - on the Boga Grip! I'm proud to say that I caught that fish -- which is by far my largest blackfish (though I only began fishing for blackfish 48 hours ago!). For what it's worth, the big fish ate half an Asian crab, and I caught it on a Penn International 975 Baitcasting reel, filled with 30-pound test Sufix Performance Braid. That fish fought me as hard as a 10-pound mutton snapper would have back home off South Florida. I'm impressed with these blackfish! If they grew as large as 30 and 40-pounds, I doubt they could be landed! The neat thing about this trip, is that I brought up my Inshore Mako - a Mako 2201, named the Shallow-Water MARC. What a thrill to be driving and fishing from your own boat in "foreign" waters!"

Foreign waters? Geez!

Poveromo's show moves to VERSUS beginning in January 2011. ESPN will be officially out of the fishing/outdoors TV business beginning January 1, 2011 -- save for B.A.S.S. His popular show got picked up by VERSUS the day after ESPN made that announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment